Friday, February 8, 2013

Gender- It's what's for dinner.

Gender, gender, gender.  If there is one thing that most people have opinions on, it is gender roles and sexual orientation.  I confess, I am no different; however, most of my life I have always kept my vocalized opinions about controversial subject neutral, keeping my true thoughts to myself or simply wondering without ever really coming to a conclusion.  My mind is the most politically correct part of my body, loathe to label the fierce convictions of others as wrong.  

Who am I to say how they should live their life?  Who am I to say whether or not someone is "born the way that they are?"  I am just responsible for myself, and I need to be respectful of others and let them choose what they choose.  I have no idea what it is like to be in their shoes, so I can't really say one way or another.

And so it has gone on for most of my life.  Taking this family relations class has forced me to re-examine some of my neutral positions and question some things that I have previously accepted as "proof."  
I still maintain that I have no right to judge others, and I cannot know the feeling that they feel or the challenges and injustices that they face, but I can bear my testimony that I know that God is our creator.  I know that He is the marvelous Creator of all  the creatures on the face of this planet, including His sons and His daughters.  I know that men and women have divine roles in this life and in the eternities.  I testify that each of us has certain traits, tendencies, and natural abilities that suit us to God's purposes and to our potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment